The NSA Crane JLUS Study Area encompasses the areas surrounding Naval Support Activity Crane that are influenced by military operations – particularly the five key jurisdictions of Martin County, Lawrence County, Daviess County, Greene County, and Sullivan County.
Naval Support Activity Crane is located in southwestern Indiana, approximately 70 miles southwest of Indianapolis and approximately 70 miles northwest of Louisville, Kentucky. The installation covers more than 98 square miles (64,000 acres). About 60,000 acres of the installation is situated in Martin County, with about 3,000 acres located in Greene County, north of Martin County. The installation is home to multiple tenants, including the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division (NSWC Crane), the Crane Army Ammunition Activity (CAA), Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), Great Lakes Industrial Hygiene, Defense Automated Printing Service, and Defense Commissary Agency Detachment Crane.
Naval Support Activity Crane employs over 6,000 professionals composed of scientists, engineers, and technicians. NSA Crane provides unique and irreplaceable assets as a center of innovation and has evolved into a highly-educated workforce. Tenant commands at NSA Crane perform important research, development, testing, and engineering missions.
Naval Support Activity is:
- Home to the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division (NSWC Crane) responsible for providing technical support and engineering for sensors, special warfare weapons, electronics, and electronic warfare.
- Home to the Crane Army Ammunition Activity (CAAA) responsible for producing and supplying conventional ammunition, missiles and related components.
- Home to the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) responsible for investigating felony-level offenses affecting the Navy and Marine Corps, as well as neutralizing foreign intelligence, international terrorist, and cyber threats.
- Home to the US Coast Guard who safeguards the US maritime interests and environment around the world.
- Home to multiple other tenants, including Defense Automated Printing Service, Great Lakes Industrial Hygiene, Defense Commissary Agency, Navy Resale Activity Detachment, and Defense Reutilization and Marking Office.
Click on map below to view full-size map of the project study area.